History of the Castle
The Mora de Rubielos Castle stands on a hill , on the northern part of the Mora de Rubielo´s Old Town.The first reference that we have on it dates from 1198. The castle then became a property of the Blasco Fernández Of Heredia family , one of the powerful families of the Kingdom of Aragón. This lineage replaced the old castle and re-built it in one of the best examples of aragonian castle/palaces. The works were prolonged during the XV century.
After the middle ages, the castle went under a series of changes, including donations to Monastic Orders and a fire in the XVIII century. In the XX century it became a jail and police force headquarters. The castle went under a restoration in the 80s , becoming the monument that we can see today.
Near points of interest
Collegiate Church of Santa Maria (XIV century)
Less than a two minutes walk from the Castle, we have this beautiful collegiate church , built in gothic style .